Notice of Election
NOTICE OF MUNICIPAL PRIMARY
In accordance with provisions of the Election Code, notice is hereby given to the electors of Butler County that a Municipal Primary will be held on Tuesday, May 18, 2021, between the hours of 7:00 A.M. and 8:00 P.M., prevailing time, for the nomination of candidates to be elected to the following offices at the Municipal Election to be held on Tuesday, November 2, 2021, and for which offices nomination petitions must be filed in the office of the Secretary of the Commonwealth and in the office of the Butler County Bureau of Elections.
The political parties eligible to file nomination petitions are the DEMOCRATIC PARTY and REPUBLICAN PARTY. A list of candidates who have filed to appear on the ballot is now available.
Four proposed constitutional amendments will appear on the Municipal Primary ballot:
- Article 1: Prohibition Against Denial or Abridgement of Equality of Rights Because of Race or Ethnicity
- Article 3, Section 9: Relating to Termination or Extension of Disaster Emergency Declarations
- Article 4: Disaster Emergency Declaration and Management
- Act 2020-91: Making Municipal Fire and Emergency Medical Services Companies Eligible for Loans
In all of the voting districts of Butler County, nominations are to be made for the following office: Justice of the Supreme Court (1), Judge of the Superior Court (1), Judge of the Commonwealth Court (2), Judge of the Court of Common Pleas (1), Clerk of Courts (1), County Controller (1), County Coroner (1) and County Sheriff (1).
Nominations are to be made for the following Magisterial District Judge (1):
- District 50-3-01: Brady Twp, Franklin Twp, Mercer Twp, Muddycreek Twp, Slippery Rock Twp, Worth Twp, Harrisville Boro, Portersville Boro, Prospect Boro, Slippery Rock Boro and West Liberty Boro.
- District 50-3-04: Cranberry Twp and Seven Fields Boro.
- District 50-3-05: Butler City.
- District 50-3-06: Adams Twp, Connoquenessing Twp, Forward Twp, Jackson Twp, Lancaster Twp, Callery Boro, Connoquenessing Boro, Evans City Boro, Harmony Boro, Mars Boro, Valencia Boro and Zelienople Boro.
The following School Districts will nominate four (4) school directors in each party for a four year term unless otherwise indicated: Butler Area School District, Karns City Area School District, South Butler Area School District, Freeport Area School District, Mars Area School District and Moniteau Area School District. Karns City Area School District will nominate one (1) school director in each party for a two year term.
Slippery Rock Area School District will nominate one (1) school director in each party for a four year term in the following regions: Region 1 and Region 3. Slippery Rock Area School District with also nominate two (2) four year terms and one (1) two year term in Region 2.
Seneca Valley Area School District will nominate one (1) school director in each party for a four year term in the following regions: Region 1, Region 4, Region 5, Region 8 and Region 9. Seneca Valley Area School District will also nominate one (1) school director in each party for a two year term in Region 6.
Officers to be nominated in townships are township commissioner, township supervisor, tax collector, auditor and constable. Officers to be nominated in boroughs and cities are mayor, council, tax collector, treasurer, controller, auditor and constable.
One Judge of Election and One Inspector of Election will be nominated in each precinct in Butler County.
Petitions to have the name of a candidate placed upon Official Primary Ballots, which are to be filed in the office of the Bureau of Elections, Butler County, Pennsylvania, must be filed in that office before 5:00 P.M. on Tuesday, March 9, 2021.
Casting of lots to determine the position of names on the May 18, 2021 Municipal Primary Ballot will be held on Wednesday, March 17, 2021 at 1:30 P.M., in the Public Meeting Room of the Butler County Government Center.
For the purpose of casting lots, any candidate may appear in person or by proxy if appointed in writing. The Bureau of Elections shall cast lots for any candidate who does not appear.