Do I need a licensed minister or priest to perform my marriage ceremony?

Pennsylvania law clearly lists those who are recognized to officiate at marriage ceremonies.

If individuals choose to be married by someone other than those listed as an ordained minister of a regularly established congregation or a civil official authorized by Pennsylvania law, the burden of proof regarding legality (or lack thereof) is on the individuals involved should future issues arise that require a determination of the marriage's validity. We do not determine what is or is not a church/congregation.

Show All Answers

1. I was adopted and want to locate my birth parents. How do I access adoption records?
2. I adopted a child in a foreign country. How do I get a Pennsylvania birth certificate for the child?
3. How do I get appointed as the guardian of a minor child or incapacitated person?
4. What are the requirements to apply for a marriage license?
5. How do I get a certified copy of my marriage license?
6. We are getting married on a cruise, island, or in another state / country. Where do we get our marriage license?
7. Can I register my marriage in Pennsylvania if it takes place in another country or state?
8. Is there a central registry of marriage in Pennsylvania?
9. Where should I obtain my marriage license if I am being married in a different county other than the one I live in?
10. Do I need a licensed minister or priest to perform my marriage ceremony?
11. Does Pennsylvania recognize common-law marriages?
12. Are same sex marriages legal in Pennsylvania?
13. How old do you have to be to obtain a marriage license in Pennsylvania?
14. Why do you need my social security number to apply for a marriage license?
15. Marriage applications are public record, but my social security number wont be viewable by the public, right?
16. What if I have a social security number, but refuse to provide it?
17. What happens if I do not have a social security number?