Small Games of Chance
Only qualifying eligible organizations which have been in existence at least one year may apply
Charitable, religious, fraternal, or veterans club holding a liquor license and is an exempt organization under section 501 (c) or 527 of the Internal Revenue Service code are eligible for this license.
Games of chance license valid for one calendar year from issue.
- Aggregate prize limit not to exceed $35,000 in any seven-day period.
- Individual prize limit not to exceed $2,000.
- Raffle prize limit not to exceed $15,000 in any calendar month.
- Special raffle permits are available for raffles in excess of raffle prize limit, but not to exceed $150,000.
- Volunteer fire, ambulance or rescue organizations may, but not to exceed $250,000.
A licensed eligible organization shall be eligible to receive no more than ten special permits in any licensed term, except volunteer fire, ambulance, rescue or conservation organization that is not a club licensee shall be eligible to receive twelve special permits in any licensed term.
- Regular small games of chance license fee - $125
- Monthly small games of chance license fee - $25
- Special raffle permit fee - $25 (available only to organizations that hold a small games of chance license)
As of January 27, 2014 the limited occasion license will no longer be available and has been replaced with the option to purchase one or multiple monthly licenses.
Completed application form Rev.1752. Review all documentation requirements listed on the bottom of page 2 of application. Form Review 1752 (PDF) is available for organizations applying to Butler County Treasurer. For your convenience a Checklist of required application items (PDF) is available. The Special Raffle Permit application (PDF) is also available.
Application may be notarized in the Treasurer’s Office free of charge.
If any information contained on Form Review 1752 changes, the organization must notify Treasurer’s Office within 15 days of change.
Beginning in 2014, a club licensee with proceeds in excess of $20,000 in a calendar year shall submit annual reports to the department for the preceding 12-month period on a form and in a manner prescribed by the department
Refer to the Pennsylvania Department of Revenue website to review Act 2 Small Games of Chance Amendments for further reporting requirements.
Texas Hold'em is not a legal games of chance under the Small Games of Chance Act.
- Department of Revenue Small Games of Chance Overview (PDF)
- Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board Special Occasion Permits: Special Occasion Permits
- Pennsylvania State Police Presentation on Small Games of Chance (PDF)
- Small Games of Chance: Basic Guidance on what is Legal versus Illegal for Club Licensees and Eligible Organizations Handout (PDF)
- Available to eligible non-profit organizations which have been in existence at least one year at the time of application
- An executive officer or secretary must be present to apply for license
- License valid for one calendar year from issue
- Provide current copy of organization's charter, articles of incorporation or bylaw when applying for license
- Maximum payout for any single calendar day is $4,000
- May conduct bingo daily
- Limited bingo license fee - $15 (not to exceed 3 consecutive days)
- Regular bingo license fee - $100
The purpose of the information listed on this website is to be helpful to those who have questions. Please note that absolutely no information listed for the Butler County Treasurer should be used as legal advice. Personnel are not permitted to give any legal advice. If you have a question concerning legality please contact an attorney.